13 most essential vitamins a body need
Vitamin is an Organic compound Essential or a set of molecules (basic chemicals) for health. It is required in small quantities for the proper metabolism of the body.
It is the most important nutrient to stay healthy. There are two types of vitamins i.e. fat-soluble vitamins and water-soluble vitamins. The fat-soluble vitamins are stored in the fat tissues of the body. But the water-soluble vitamins are not stored in a body, they leave the body through urine. That’s why we should take water-soluble vitamins on a regular basis.
Both the fat-soluble vitamins and water-soluble vitamins are essential for body growth.
The names of the fat-soluble vitamins are- Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, and the Water-Soluble Vitamins are- Vitamin C and the B vitamins.
There are fourteen essential vitamins according to some sources. But the major health organizations list thirteen essential vitamins. 13 most essential vitamins are mentioned below-
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B7 (Biotin)
- Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin)
- Folate (Folic acid and B9)
Vitamins are measured in mg (milligram) or mcg (microgram) and sometimes in IU (international unit).
The functions of the 13 most essential vitamins
- Vitamin A- Vitamin A helps to form healthy teeth and skeletal. It also helps to maintain good skin. At night, it helps to improve the eyesight by producing pigments in the retina of the eye. The most common type of pro-vitamin A named beta-carotene helps to decrease the risk of cancer diseases.
- Vitamin D- Vitamin D helps to maintain healthy bones as it regulates the calcium and phosphorus level in the body. It develops the immune, brain, and nervous system health. It reduces the risk of multiple sclerosis, heart disease, the flu, and diabetes. It also reduces depression and overweight problems.
- Vitamin E- Vitamin E is a type of anti-oxidant that helps to slow down the damage of the cells including cancer and aging. It also helps to protect cells from damage by free radicals. The body needs vitamin E to boost the immune system ofthe body. It helps to widen the blood vessels.
- Vitamin K- According to the research, we need one microgram a day of vitamin K for each kilogram of our body weight approximately. It is found in vegetable oils and cereal grains. Vitamin K helps to heal wounds. In some research, vitamin K also helps to keep the bones healthy. It is the much-needed vitamin for blood clotting.
- Vitamin C or ascorbic acid- It is found generally in all kinds of fruits and vegetables. It helps to protect the cells and stay healthy. It also helps to keep healthy skin, blood vessels, and bones. Like vitamin K, it helps wound healing.
- Vitamin B1 or Thiamine- Vitamin B1 converts carbohydrates into valuable energy for the body, brain, and nervous system. It also plays an important role in muscle contraction and conduction of nerve signals. Without thiamin, you can not work properly.
- Vitamin B2 or Riboflavin- Vitamin B2 helps in the metabolism of fats, proteins, carbohydrates, and ketone bodies. It is important for proper body growth and red blood cell production.
- Vitamin B3 or Niacin- It is also called nicotinic acid. With the help of vitamin B3, the nervous system works properly. Niacin improves circulation and cholesterol levels. It also improves stress-related hormones.
- Vitamin B5- If you want to maintain a healthy digestive tract, you have to take vitamin B5. It is also known as ‘anti-stress’ vitamins. It also helps to synthesize cholesterols.
- Vitamin B6- Vitamin b6 does several functions to the body. It helps the metabolism process to protein, fat, and carbonates. It also helps to create red blood cells.
- Vitamin B7 or Biotin- Vitamin B7 is important for liver metabolism. It is also important for skin care. It works as a dietary supplement for strengthening hair and nails.
- Vitamin B12 or cyanocobalamin- The most important function of vitamin B12 is to create DNA which is the main identity of us. It also helps to improve the nerve system of the body and to keep blood cells healthy.
- Folate (Folic acid and B9)- It works with vitamin B12 and vitamin C to help the body by creating new proteins. It also helps the tissues to grow and the cells to work properly.
Vitamins are the most important nutrients for a body. We can get vitamins from food or by taking supplements. One should take the proper amount of these 13 vitamins that his body needs to work properly.
To read more Articles about Health Click Here